Status and Concern for Covid 19
What is Covid N-19?
- Covid-19 is a novel corona virus first seen in Wuhan China December 2019
- Corona Viruses are the same class of viruses that cause influenza and the common cold
What do we know?
- Illness presents with initial symptoms similar to the flu or a cold and can progress in severity just like the flu can.
- The incubation period is thought to be 2-14 days and it is possible to have the virus without having symptoms.
- It is transmitted by droplet such as by cough or sneeze.
- 80% of cases are mild and never progress. Many people never know they have the virus.
- People are generally infectious for about 10 days from the start of symptoms.
- A small percent progress to require hospitalization for oxygen, fluids and respiratory care.
- Almost all severe cases of the virus affect those over 60 who have significant health problems.
- NSAIDS and Steroids increase morbidity rate.
- As of 3-24-20 in the US there have been 44,180 cases diagnosed with the number of deaths at 544. That is about 1.2%.
- In Utah there have been 298 cases and only one death associated with the virus
- Comparing the Covid virus to the Swine Flu Pandemic from 10 years ago, from April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases, 274,304 hospitalizations, and 12,469 deaths in the United States. Most of those cases were in younger people.
- Comparing to this years flu season CDC estimates that, from October 1, 2019, through March 14, 2020, there have been: 38,000,000 – 54,000,000 flu illnesses; 17,000,000 – 25,000,000 flu medical visits; 390,000 – 710,000 flu hospitalizations; 23,000 – 59,000 flu deaths.
How is it treated
- First, Prevent it with frequent hand washing and keeping the work area cleaned and sanitized.
- Hand washing with soap and water has proven to be better than using hand sanitizer.
- Treatment is generally supportive with using high dose vit C, Zinc, Vit A and Vit D. For more severe cases we can give Vit C in high doses by IV. Homeopathy has always been found to be effective against any of the flu epidemics that we have seen over the last 100+ years. The more common therapies include Gelsemium and Arsenicum or others based on individual symptoms. We also believe that having taken Influenzinum preventatively will protect against Covid 19 as well as the regular flu.